Saturday, January 19, 2008

Rescue Me

It's been an interesting journey having a website for singles at JustOneSingle.com. I've accomplished the Google challenge of coming up in the top 15 in the keyword search "Single Help," but traffic to my site has been fairly low. I'm observing an interesting trend in the single world that most people would rather be rescued from single life than strengthened in single life. My web poll stats tell the story.

*83% are divorcees
*17% never married
*33% are surviving single life
*67% are trying to change it
*0% are loving it

Pretty much tells it all. The majority of us are looking to be rescued from single life, which makes me wonder if I missed the mark and should have started a dating site instead. The votes are in, we all want out. Looks like we want rescuing instead of help.

Hang in their, friends! Rescue is on the way.

"Rescue me. Oh take me in your arms. Rescue me. I want your tender charms. 'Coz I'm lonely and I'm blue. I need you and your love too. Come on and rescue me. " Rescue Me." (written by R. Miner/C. Smith. )

1 comment:

janus said...

Funny that you should post this today, as I've been thinking rather intensely this week about the single life. I'm only 26, but I'm not sure that I'm well-suited for a relationship, and am contemplating how one can best live as a single person. There is so much to think about: building a support system for oneself, finding fulfillment, and of course, tackling society's perception of singleness as a bad thing.

I think the latter plays a substantial role in how people feel about being single. There isn't really a "culture of singleness" that people can gain support from. The moment that gay culture became even vaguely accepted in society, it surged in popular culture through movies and books and even music. But there isn't much out there that truly celebrates the single life. So it's very easy to be afraid of being alone.

Searching on the internet for support in the single life, most websites I found only delivered platitudes and ways to endure temporary singleness. So it's no surprise that any celebration of singleness is remarkably shallow. Some websites try to list benefits of singlehood, but these lists contain items such as, "Your sleep is not disturbed by snoring" and "You don't have to wash his dirty socks." Hardly life-altering benefits, really.

Yet if one were to make a list of the benefits of a relationship (and the possibility of a family), it would undoubtedly contain deep-sounding thoughts about meaning and purpose in life, as well as the feel-good factor of being loved and assigned a value by other people.

I really think people need to be shown that even life-long singleness can be a thing worthy of celebration.

(Sorry for the long comment, but I'm utterly fascinated with this issue! I'll be reading up on this blog and the website.)