Friday, February 1, 2008

Bloom Where You're Planted

You've heard the saying, "Bloom where you're planted." As a single, what does that mean for you?

Being alone has taught me valuable lessons. It's also opened my eyes to the possibilities that await before me as a human being and gives me the opportunities to explore the gifts I was born with without hindrance or distraction.

I believe every one has gifts and special talents. You do too! You may not think so, because they lie dormant under the soil of your life. However, with a little watering, those gifts can bloom and you'll realize what they are. Some of you know your gifts, but you've done nothing with them. You're hiding them in the soil, because you're afraid to step out in faith and see where they will take you.

For me, I've always wanted to write. When I was a little girl, I wrote stories with my best girlfriend about the Beatles (yes, this statement ages me). We use to fantasize on paper about being part of their lives. As I grew up, I sporadically wrote stories in school and did well. Teachers featured what I wrote. Once I wrote a poem in a grade school contest that won an award and was published. Back in the 70's, I mailed a letter to an editor of a magazine, and they published it. So I've always dabbled in writing, but because of my life, being married, and not having the full support to pursue that career, I always stuck it on a shelf. Played with it here and there. Wrote some articles and tried to start a book. However, my dreams were somewhat crushed due to personal reasons, so I took the material, put it in a box, taped it up, and stuck it in storage. I've carried that box with me every where from state to state over the last 15 years.

Being alone, however, forced me to look at myself. It's brought me to place where I've taken that box off the shelf, opened it back up, and considered perhaps the possibilities of pursuing a dream I've always had. I have no one in my life to discourage me, but only friends that have encouraged me. I'm watering whatever gift may be there in hopes that some day it will bloom into the dream I've always carried. Hence, I love blogging. I get such a kick out of it, because it helps me bloom. My newest blog on the Phantom of the Opera is such fun. Takes me to another fantasy world and tickles my imagination.

I encourage each of you to take this single time in your life and bloom! Stop stressing about finding someone or about being alone. You have such possibilities embodied in who you are now. You have gifts. You have dreams. What have you always wanted to do? Learn to dance? Take an acting class? Write? Paint? The possibilities are endless. Take your passion in life and make it your passion to pursue. Bloom where you're planted. When you do, you might find your life is more fragrant than you thought.

1 comment:

LoHo said...

You go girl! Bloom like the flowers on your desk. :)