Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Valentine's Day - Ugh!

Every year we're faced with holidays. We have Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, then Valentine's Day, which I attribute about as much fun as tax day on April 15th.

Here we are. Another year. No flowers. No candy. No card. No dinner out. No kiss. No proposal. No one whispering in our ear, "I love you." Shall I say it? It sucks. Okay, I've got that out of my system.

How did this holiday come about anyway? If you're dying to know the real story, it wasn't Hallmark cards or 1-800-Flowers who came up with the idea. Here's a link to educate yourself on the origin of Valentine's Day. Seems like the pagans came up with it first, then Christianity took it from there. The Europeans believed it was the day the birds started to mate!

So what do you do with Valentine's day when you have no one? My advice, don't be anxious about it or feel left out. Show someone in your life you care about them instead. Remember, it's better to give than to receive. Turn it around and shed love to another lonely person. Doesn't always mean you have to focus on romantic love on Valentine's Day. Love comes in many forms. Love of family, love of friends, etc.

Ladies, stop at the store on the way home from work and buy yourself a big bunch of flowers. You're worth it! You don't need to have a man in your life to enjoy the fragrance of fresh flowers around you. I buy myself flowers often, just because I like to. Guys? Gosh, I have no idea what to tell you. Have a beer with the boys maybe?

Whatever your situation, don't worry about. Learn to love yourself and then love others. Happy Valentine's Day!

1 comment:

April said...

I always have to kind of brace myself for Valentine's Day, but it's really not so bad. I have two great children and we always enjoy the day.