Saturday, May 2, 2009

Worry












Ever heard the term “worry wart”? It’s a great description of a person who is a consistent worrier. The wart is the unsightly blemish of worry that burdens your life!

Well, I’ll be the first to admit there are plenty of things to worry about these days as singles. Here’s a small list that can be expanded extensively with sub-categories of additional worries:

• Finances
• Losing our job
• Getting sick
• Gas prices
• War
• Natural disasters
• Another bad relationship
• Being single the rest of our lives

I’ve learned an interesting fact about myself. The older I get, the less I tend to worry. When I was younger, I worried about everything. I was overly cautious, never took risks, and always had the “What If’s” screaming at me every day. Why that voice has suddenly silenced, I don’t quite know, but I can speculate. It’s like the picture says – most things we worry about never happen. Surprisingly all those things I worried about didn't happen.

So what is worry? Is it worth it? Is it a waste of time? Does it do any good? I guess healthy worry about being cautious might be good, but worry about what tomorrow will bring probably isn’t. It seems we have more to worry about these days thanks to technology making our lives easier. We hear about every disaster of one sort or the other worldwide, and we can even watch it real time or after the fact everywhere on the news. Then a new bug like the swine flu comes out, and the media hypes it into a pandemic that will eventually kill us all. Then there’s the wars, the end of the world, global warming, and the list goes on and on.

As singles, what do we do about worry? For me, I’ve sort of come to that point in life to stop wasting my time and energy over worry. I try and stay away from all the media hype, because it only breeds fear that leads to worry. When I feel overwhelmed, I take a moment and say a quick prayer and cast all my cares on the big guy upstairs. Whether you believe He’s there or not, it helps to throw your worry onto someone else to carry it.

So stop worrying! Here’s a couple good thoughts:

Matthew 6:27 - Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life ?

Matthew 6:34 -Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Matthew 6:25 -Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life…

Well, if the Lord in heaven is telling me not to worry, I guess I won’t bother.

Peace out!


1 comment:

The Singlutionary said...

I spend so much time worrying about getting things done that I never get anything done!

Those bible verses are excellent!