Saturday, August 1, 2009

Count Your Blessings

This week at work was horrible! We had a heat wave come through our area and temperatures topped 111 right around the corner from where I live. To make things worse, the air conditioning at work was not working, and it was a stifling 88 degrees at my desk with hot hair blowing on top of my head.

Well, the heat was the topic of discussion around the water cooler. I went home early a few days and worked from my apartment, and mentioned to some of my coworkers it felt great to strip down to my undies before checking my email. After a few brows raised with the visual I gave, a married person mentioned how they wish they could run around the house with nothing on. Of course, with children afoot that made it impossible. Then the comments came once again from the married folks about how lucky I am to be single.

One remark sparked a discussion, and singles and married jumped right in. As much as we complain about single life, I must admit it does have its benefits. Here's a list of top 10 benefits we came up with:
  1. You get to walk around naked and not worry about who sees you. (Hum, except I always have to make sure my curtains are closed!)
  2. You can eat what you want, and you don't have to cook for others. (Thank God, my ex-husband always complained about my cooking.)
  3. You only have to clean up after yourself. (True, no dirty socks, towels on the floor, dishes left everywhere. If my house is a mess, it's my mess, and I find that less irritating for some strange reason.)
  4. You don't have to comprise during an argument. (I like that. No strife or butting heads. I always get my way.)
  5. You don't have to listen to someone else's snoring. (I confess though, I talk in my sleep and sometimes wake myself up!)
  6. No arguments over money. It's all yours and you can spend it as you like. (Though I wish I lived in a two-income household. I could use the extra cash!)
  7. You can come and go as you please. (It's your choice to hibernate or paint the town.)
  8. You only have to do your laundry. (Yipee! No more looking at men's briefs!)
  9. The toilet seat is ALWAYS down. (What woman isn't thankful for that?)
  10. And last, but not least, you have total control of the TV remote. (You're Queen of your entertainment domain.)
So I guess next time I'm in the dumps over my life of solitude, I'll read my top 10 blessings. "Count your blessings, name them one by one."

Cheers,
Vicki

PS - If you have any others beyond my top 10, feel free to comment. Of course, my blessings are written from a woman's viewpoint. I'm sure the guys have their own take on it all! For some reason I think "no nagging" would be at the top of the list. ;-)

3 comments:

Beatrice said...

I wrote a list just like this at my blog! I think I came up with pretty much the same things. I thought of something else as well, but then forgot it again. LOL.

Margaret said...

You can squirt whipped cream directly into your mouth and not offend anyone. You can also buy cookie dough just for the sake of eating the cookie dough without ever turning the oven on. Hmmm, I wonder why mine are food-related.

Scott B said...

It has ALWAYS been my practice to encourage my lady friends to walk around naked and just pretend I am not there.